Founded in 1806, Holy Trinity Church is one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in Ohio. Many of its founding members were born prior to the Revolutionary War. The church's records are among the earliest in Stark County.
Johannes Stauch, a circuit rider in the Ohio-Pennsylvania area, visited the Stark County area on a regular basis, both for preaching and for organizing the German speaking setlers into congregations. It was Stauch who organized Holy Trinity in 1806 in the cabin of Jacob Loutsenhaiser
The original house of worship was a log cabin erected in 1809 on the site of the present Warstler Cemetery, The church cemetary ground was officially deeded to the congregation by Henery Warstler's heirs in 1814.
As the congregation grew. A larger church in the Greek Revival style was buit in 1840 across the road from the cemetery. When that too was outgrown, the present building was erected in 1899. The building was moved off its foundaton by a tornado shortly after it was built (1911). It was deemed sound and continues to be used to the present time. A 20 by 38 ft annex was built adjoining the church and dedicated on October 11 1936. Due to continual growth the congregation approved the most recent expansion plan in 1977 and saw completion in 1980 of another annex and a larger worhip area. A major construction project completed in 2001 added educational classrooms, the family life center and new administrative offices.
Services were conducted in German until 1835, when English was also accepted in the worship by the congregation. In the 1920's the congregation was instrumental in founding the first Synod in the state of Ohio. Holy Trinity was a member of the United Lutheran Church in America (ULCA) and later the Lutheran Church in America (LCA) before a major merger of Lutheran bodies created the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) in 1988.
Since the early 1800's Holy Trinity Lutheran Church has grown and flourished. Although the congregation is richly blessed with history and tradition, it continues to be a forward-looking congregation with a variety of programs and a young and creative profile. Pastor Steve Kimm has guided Holy Trinity since 1994.
In 2006 Pastor Kimm was called to Alleluia Lutheran in central Ohio and Pastor Mark Williams has lead the congreation since Feburary 2007 with traditional and contemporary worship services as we continue to build for the future on the rich heritage of the past.
return to HTLC